Before switching from an over-the-counter deodorant to an all-natural, non-toxic one, you should complete an underarm detox (made easy with our Underarm Detox Kit) in order to rid your pits of the many harmful chemicals in most deodorants and antiperspirants. These products have been clogging your body’s ability to sweat naturally (sweating NEEDS to happen!), so it’s imperative that you rid your system of these unsightly ingredients before you can make the switch. People who don’t detox before switching products often complain of odors or rashes, causing them to believe that natural deodorants don’t work and reverting back to their chemical-filled version. These are just a few of the harmful ingredients that you will find on the label of non-organic deodorants:
Aluminum– Some evidence links aluminum to cancer. Aluminum is the ingredient in antiperspirants that stops you from sweating. To do this, it actually clogs your lymph nodes, which is one of the main reasons your body needs an underarm detox.
Phthalates– Endocrine disruptors that can also be found in plastic. They can cause hormone imbalance and even infertility. They have also been shown to cause birth defects. Phthalates are most commonly hidden and found in perfume or fragrance.
Propylene glycol– Common name: antifreeze. This ingredient is used in MOST personal care products you use. Go ahead and check your labels.
Formaldehyde– A known carcinogen. Yes, like the stuff they use to embalm people.
Parabens– Another hormone disruptor.
1. Begin by dry brushing your underarms in an upward stroke. This helps to stimulate the lymph system and increase circulation.
2. Mix the ACV, bentonite clay & water in a glass bowl (do not use metal!) with a wooden or non-metal spoon until you get a paste like consistency.
3. Spread paste in an even layer over the underarms and leave on for 5-20 minutes. Start slowly, and work your way up to a longer period of time once you see how your body reacts to the paste. If it hurts at all or stings, remove immediately.
4. There may be some redness in the area afterwards as it will increase blood flow. Redness should subside quickly.
5. Wash o in the shower or with a warm, wet washcloth, accompanied by our Charcoal Bar Soap.
6. Repeat steps 1-5 daily or as often as needed until underarm odor goes away and natural deodorant is non-irritating. We recommend doing the underarm detox during a week where you don’t have to wear any deodorant. Also, note that we do NOT recommend alternating between natural and non-natural deodorant. This will result in you having to detox over and create more odor.